Penn National Gaming Has Plan To Acquire Majority Share Of Barstool Sports

Written By Nicholaus Garcia on February 9, 2022
By 2023 Expect Penn National Gaming Trying To Take Full Control Of Barstool Sportsbook

During Penn National Gaming‘s (PNG) fourth-quarter earnings report, CEO Jay Snowden said a complete acquisition of Barstool Sports is underway.

In 2020, $PENN paid $163 million for a 36% stake in Dave Portnoy’s company. Now, Penn is hoping by 2023, it can acquire the remaining 64 percent.

Complete control of Barstool logical next step?

During the companies investment call, Snowden had this to say:

“We couldn’t be more excited about moving our ownership position up from the current 36 percent. We look forward to being owner of Barstool 100 percent. They have been a great partner for us.”

Even though shares dipped 58% over the past year, it was the Barstool Sportsbook that provided impressive Q4 results.

The popular sportsbook, which is available in 12 states, has helped Penn avoid substantial marketing costs, unlike its competitors. The company achieved this by allowing Portnoy and the Barstool team to promote the sportsbook to millions of their social media followers.

Up to $1250 to bet on sports
250% Slots + Table Bonus
150 Free Spins On Gorilla Or Buffalo Ways
50 Daily Boost For Your Massive Wins
Grab your 175% + 50 free spins Wins
$22.50 FREE
New Player Welcome Bonus
US Players Accepted
$2.50 in Premium Funzpoints at Sign Up
+ Up to $20 Free With Your First Deposit
In Bonus Bets
UP TO $1,000
Free Live Streaming - Watch Live Games
$1,000 Paid Back in Bonus Bets
Use Bonus Code: PLAYBONUS

What about online casinos?

Although not as abundant, PNG’s online casino platform is live in three states.

  • Michigan
  • Pennsylvania
  • New Jersey

Penn is not expected to be profitable with its online operations this year. However, the company is only projecting a loss of $50 million. To compare, other major operators do not expect to be profitable in 2022 either.

One product Penn is counting on is theScore Bet, which it acquired last year for roughly $2 million. The company expects it to be a major player in the Ontario gaming market. Penn also plans to launch mobile sports betting in Maryland and Ohio when given the green light.

Maryland expects online sports betting to launch soon, although a specific date is still unknown. On the other hand, Ohio has pushed mobile and retail sports betting to early 2023.

“We’re definitely going to make sure everyone in Canada and Ontario knows [in April] we are now live and it’s a legal market,” Snowden said.

Photo by IgorGolovniov /
Nicholaus Garcia Avatar
Written by

Nicholaus Garcia

Nick Garcia is a senior reporter for Playin USA. Garcia provides analysis and in-depth coverage of the gambling industry with a key focus on online casinos, sports betting and financial markets. Garcia has been covering the US gambling market since 2017. He attended Texas Tech University as an undergrad and received a Master of Arts in Journalism from Columbia College Chicago.

View all posts by Nicholaus Garcia