Maryland Casino Industry Kicks Off 2023 With $167 Million
January was a big month for the Maryland casino industry.
According to the Maryland Lottery & Gaming, casino gaming revenue increased 8.8% compared to January 2022. Regulator data also shows the state’s six casinos combined for $167.3 million in revenue from slot machines and table games.
As for contributions to the state, casino gaming totaled $70.7 million, an increase of 13.2% compared to the same time last year. For January, the Education Trust Fund (ETF) received $51.4 million, up 13% from 2022.
The following figures represent slot machines and table games. Figures for retail and online sports betting in Maryland are reported separately.
MGM National Harbor top Maryland casino performer
MGM National Harbor continues to lead the way when it comes to the top-overall performer. However, both Ocean Downs Casino and Rocky Gap Casino saw the biggest year-over-year increases.
Gaming reven ue totals for Jan. 2023 are:
- $72.3 million – MGM National Harbor (2,134 slot machines/209 table games) up 7.8%
- $58.2 million – Live! Casino & Hotel (3,853 slot machines/179 table games) up 6.6%
- $17.6 million – Horseshoe Casino (1,481 slot machines/130 table games) up 9.1%
- $7.1 million – Hollywood Casino (710 slot machines/19 table games) up 6.5%
- $7 million – Ocean Downs Casino (847 slot machines/19 table games) up 41%
- $5 million – Rocky Gap Casino (620 slot machines/16 table games) up 17%
Table games performed well across all six properties. As a whole, table games generated $54.7 million in gross gaming revenue for January. The bulk of the $167 million generated to begin the year belongs to slot machines.
Combined, slot machine revenue at all six casinos totaled $122.5 million. As a result, the ETF collected $43.2 million just from slots.
Looking at the Maryland casino industry over the 2022 calendar year, gaming revenue reached $112.5 million in 2022.
Economic benefits of Maryland’s gaming revenue
As for Fiscal YTD 2023, Maryland casinos have generated a massive $785,206,096 in gross gaming revenue. As a result, communities and jurisdictions where the casinos are located have also reaped the benefits.
January 2023 – economic benefit:
- Education Trust Fund – $43.2 million
- Local Impact Grants (5.5%) – $6.1 million
- Race Tracks Facility Renewal Account (1%) – $1.1 million
- Lottery (1%) – $1.1 million
- Small, Minority, Women Business / Commerce – $1.7 million